Monday, August 27, 2012

Kettlebells


 

 

Kettlebells are weights invented in Russia back in the 1700's. I purchased a kettlebell towards the end of this past winter. Since then I have purchased two more. I have spent a fair amount of time on youtube watching people workout with kettlebells, learning the different exercises. There are at least 50 different exercises you can do with kettlebells. That’s not to mention the "juggling" you can do with them. Juggling is the act of throwing the kettlebell up in the air and catching it. I do not do this personally because I don't think it is so beneficial that it is worth breaking a toe.

As there are so many different exercises you can do with them, you can combine resistance training with cardio very effectively. There are also a number of whole body exercises that are great for accelerating your heart rate. If you are trying to burn off a lot of calories they can do the trick.

You can also use kettlebells for power lifting. The Turkish get-up is a great power lifting exercise. In this exercise you lay down on the floor or ground holding the kettlebell straight up and "get-up" to a standing position keeping the weight held up the whole time. It is a great exercise for both leg and shoulder strength.

The internet is a great resource for learning how to train with kettlebells. There are a number of different youtube videos that feature kettlebell training. You can find some good ones if you search Bloom to Fit or Steve Cotter. Bloom to Fit is a fitness blog on the internet and the maker of this blog has put together a video of 40 different kettlebell exercises for youtube viewers. You may also buy a book or DVD to learn better how to train with them.

I make kettlebell training the predominant part of my routine. Next after kettlebell training is jogging. I am able to stay in great shape this way. Combining cardio and resistance training is a great way to save time. This makes kettlebells a great option for anyone short on time. Just 30 minutes 4 or 5 days a week will leave you toned up and healthy.

I recommend starting off with a light weight. I have two 15's and a 25 pound kettlebell. These weights are great. To give you a reference point of how strong I am so you can better decide what weight is right for you, I will tell you I can bench 50 pound dumbbells over 20 times. The 15's are starting to get to be a little light for me. I am probably going to purchase another 25 very soon and maybe a 35 not to long after. Once you have chosen a weight to purchase and learn all the different exercises, you will be well on your way to good health and great shape.

No comments:

Post a Comment