Monday, August 13, 2012

Smoking: Three Months After Quitting


Smoking: Three Months After Quitting



Yesterday marked the three month anniversary of when I quit smoking. I have reflected on the things I have done in that time. I started running a week after I quit. I now run about 3 times a week with 1 hour-long run and 2 shorter runs. On Saturday, the day before my three month anniversary, I ran a mile in 6 minutes and 20 seconds. I am pretty pleased with that time. Especially when I think of how much slower I would have been when I smoked. They say in the first three months after quitting cigarettes you will gain 30% of your lung capacity back.

The real reason I quit smoking was financial. I had always been more physically active than most smokers. I once did a 230 mile bike ride in three days and smoked a pack a day while doing it. However, as a smoker who has a limited income, the numbers just didn't add up. I knew that if I were going to be responsible for myself I would have to quit, and I did. Now that I no longer smoke my budgeting is simpler. I have more money for other things I want and I still spend less over a month's time, by about $70.00. This alone makes quitting well worth the effort.

Not only are my health and finances better off now that I am a non-smoker, but I am more motivated to make positive changes in my life. While smoking I would often bide the time between cigarettes not doing much of anything. Now I use my time more constructively. Currently I am studying to be a nutritionist. I also think I have improved my ability to stay focused for long periods of time. Nicotine cravings are really distracting, from work, from books and anything else that lasts for over 30 minutes. I'm sure any future employer I may have will be happy that I'm not stepping out to smoke every so often.

 I hope that if you are considering quitting reading this article will help motivate you to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment