Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Community Integration: Life After Your Diagnosis


Community integration is an important step to take in a person's recovery. It is a step to move on beyond the diagnosis someone has received to live a meaningful and happy life. Community integration can mean different things to different people. For some it can mean having a job, for others to have a circle of friends. It can also mean being able to live independently. This article is intended not only to identify what community integration is, but also to explain to the audience what opportunities are out there that are intended to help people be a part of the greater community.

I myself am at a stage in my own personal recovery where community integration is a top priority. I am doing things like going to a chess club, taking a yoga class and going to a gym. I am still looking to expand from that. I hope to establish relationships in these last months I spend in the group home in which I reside. I will likely be able to make a smoother transition to independent living when the time comes if I am actively involved in a number of relationships.

In order to be able to live independently, I will have to get affordable housing. In dealing with my mental illness I have had trouble with being employed, so I have limited resources. I made the decision to quit smoking for financial reasons. I will also have food stamps when I leave to live independently. I have applied for subsidized housing and expect to be at the top of that list in somewhere around a year. In that time I will have to be careful about how I budget my money, but I am in good practice of that right now.

If you are in recovery from a mental illness you could qualify for assistance in going to college. I have been told that vocational rehabilitation services will pay for higher education of those with disabilities. They can not only pay for books, but fees and tuition as well. I learned this from someone who actually did this themselves. It is definitely an option worth looking into. I am considering doing this myself, however I will take it one step at a time. I want to acclimate myself to the local community and independent living before I tackle higher education.

Community integration after being diagnosed with a mental illness is a daunting task. It is important to take it one day at a time. Continue to grow and expand your horizons while not forgetting what is most important, your peace of mind. In my case, I will be going to groups offered in my community as well as seeing a therapist, psychiatrist and case manager. I also have the support of my family. I will look towards getting support in the early stages of my community integration on a daily basis. I will be open and honest about what is going on in my life and how I am feeling. I believe to best take on this stage in my recovery it is important to stay humble.

No comments:

Post a Comment