Friday, December 14, 2012

Carrying On

One of the hardest parts of having a mental illness is that it is unseen. I believe my disability is perceived differently than a physical ailment by many. In cases that a person who is physically debilitated is seen as courageous I might be called lazy.
The fact that a mental illness is not visible is a source of stigma. People have preconceived notions of what mental illness is. And as they can not actually see for themselves the debilitating effects of the illness they simply do not understand. We ourselves as mental health consumers have our illnesses thrust upon us often without being educated on what we are dealing with. Just like anyone else we have preconceived notions of what the effects of our illnesses might be.
I had feelings of guilt around symptomatic behavior for a long time. I did not understand that I was severely debilitated by my illness. And even now I think I take for granted that I am courageously moving forward in my recovery. The expectations that are put on the mentally ill are emotionally taxing and unfair.
I want all my readers to know that a mental illness can be just as debilitating as any physical ailment. It should be treated as such. If you are a mental health consumer you must not feel guilty for your circumstances. You are persistent to take on the challenge of a mental illness. You have not given up. You instead choose to carry on in the face of adversity and should be applauded.

2 comments:

  1. This resonates strongly with me. I have the more severe form of Bipolar Disorder and have for over a decade. It's hard to recognize that what I deal with is as debilitating as if I had lost a limb. Having a malfunctioning brain may be invisible, but is no less significant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You don't have to compare or contrast to make this point. Live your life with grace and the point will be made therein. With the extraordinary beauty that belongs to grace.

    ReplyDelete