Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Looking Back

I remember when I was in Miami I stayed at a hostel. I was there at the hostel for about a month. It was located right on the strip that ran along side the beach. In this location I was able to soak in all the glitz and glamor of the big city. I was immersed in all the goings on of the beach. I grew up in rural Vermont and this experience really opened my eyes.
I met some people while I was in Miami. There was a couple that I hung out with often for a short time. They were living together without a home. Each of them had dropped out of high school to go out on their own. We shared sandwiches one time. I had purchased some bread and ham at the store and shared it with them. At one point I stopped seeing them around. The young man had said he was going to move in with his grand mother. I hoped this is what happened.
My experience in Miami was far from positive. It served to be a set back at the time. I see myself now and how far I have come. I wonder how much I owe the positive change in my life to the set backs I've experienced. I feel great about what I am doing now. And would not trade any bit of it if it meant that I would not arrive where I currently am. I hope that the young couple I met in Miami can look back on their experience of living on the streets in Miami positively too.

No comments:

Post a Comment