Monday, September 17, 2012

The Responsibility of Living


The most valuable lesson I have learned in the past year has been that the good life is a responsibility, instead of a privilege. In years past I did not feel this way. The years in which my symptoms of schizophrenia were at their worst I spent a lot of time wallowing in my misery. I felt that the world had been unfair to me. I thought I deserved more from life than what I was given. I did not see, however, that this behavior not only hurt my self, but also those who cared about me. I think that we owe it to those closest to us to make the best effort at living a good life that we can.

It took time for me to come around and feel that I needed to do something about my situation. I believe it all started when the desire to do something in the world became greater than the effects of paranoia I experienced from my schizophrenia. I started making small steps everyday towards making a better life for myself. The journey to recovery is a long and windy one. I now think that the struggles and dramatic low points I have experienced due to my illness have brought me to a certain place in which I feel empowered. I now have greater and more positive things to share with the world than I ever would have if I had not become mentally ill.

No comments:

Post a Comment