Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Lost In Recovery

I think as a person with schizophrenia it was important to have educated myself on my illness. I experienced a major turning point in my recovery just from doing a little research on my disease. I had to do this research because no mental health professionals ever explained to me what schizophrenia was. I did not know I was even in "recovery" for years.
I can remember a time, years after my diagnosis when I didn't even know what recovery was. This was after having been in 2 or 3 different hospitals and receiving treatment at a group home for 2 1/2 years. I had asked questions about schizophrenia and did not get clear answers. I was left to deal with a major mental illness completely in the dark.
I moved to Miami Beach in the fall of 2010. I went there without batting an eyelash at the fact that I would be far away from any support system. I went there without setting myself up with a psychiatrist. I looked at an opportunity to work in a bike shop there as a means to put the schizophrenia mess behind me.
I now know much better. I have read about schizophrenia on the internet. I have also spoken to professionals and participated in many hours of group discussion. I have had many questions answered. I know that I will never be rid of this disease and that I must be diligent in my recovery. I now see a therapist and psychiatrist regularly as well as take medication everyday.
I am a little bitter that in 4 1/2 years after being diagnosed, no one offered to explain to me what it meant to have schizophrenia. It is unprofessional and irresponsible for mental health professionals to not explain to a patient what they mean in saying, you have schizophrenia. I have experienced trauma and crises because I didn't know better how to deal with my illness. I have been wronged by the mental health system.
I want everyone who reads this blog to come away knowing about mental illness just a little better. I believe this medium to be powerful because I can very easily get my message to a lot of people. I hope that in writing articles for Breathe I will be both a mentor and an advocate for those dealing with mental illness. If you read this blog you are making a step in your own recovery, it may be a small step but it is a step. Congratulations.

No comments:

Post a Comment