Thursday, November 1, 2012

Where I Am

I was diagnosed with schizophrenia in 2007. It is now in remission. In the time between then and now I have lived in 2 different group homes. I have also been hospitalized 4 times. I am taking from this experience of recovery, a lot of wisdom and a stiff upper lip.
I believe most people associate schizophrenia with hearing voices. I have never heard voices myself. I have been delusional. Among them was a belief that I had a rat in my brain. The process of realizing this wasn't true was painstakingly slow. I took 9 1/2 years.
A breakthrough in my recovery occurred when I researched my illness. I went online to read stories of peoples experiences with schizophrenia. There on my computer screen were statements people made that I identified with. At that exact moment in time I discarded my delusions.
This event inspired me to share my experiences in having schizophrenia. That is why I decided to publish a blog. I have now written over 100 articles for this blog and have found it to be very rewarding.
I often times write articles that do not directly pertain to mental health. That is because I have found that recovery is a lot more than just managing an illness. It is a means to reclaim a broken life. I intend in telling my story to create a story that people can identify with. I also hope to inspire readers to go further in their recovery.
I understand that not all my readers have mental illnesses. If you are one of these I hope that by reading my articles you better understand mental illness. I believe that having this blog open to any and all to see might relieve some of the stigma around mental illness.
I welcome all my readers to contact me via e-mail. I enjoy getting responses to articles I have written and will very likely write back. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment