Monday, January 21, 2013

Lost Time

I'm in Kentucky visiting my sister and her family. She has two daughters and a son. I've had a great time playing with the kids. They have a playground directly behind their house. My folks and I went back there with the 3 kids while my sister and her husband were at the "range." I especially enjoyed seeing how Elaina the oldest interacted with other kids.
The two girls were a little shy when I first showed up but have warmed up to me now. They are 5 and 7 years old. This is my very first visit to see them. Schizophrenia caused me to be absent in the lives of my sister and her family for all those years. It is just one thing that I have missed out on in the last 10 years because of my illness.
I am recovered now and am living far better than I have in many years. I am dedicating my life to seeing that others benefit from my experience with this horrible illness. I am just beginning my advocacy work with this blog. I have already begun speaking and may start in a peer position at my local agency soon. I have many years ahead of me and will make use of every one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment