Thursday, January 24, 2013

My Best Friend

Growing up I had one best friend, Brian. He and I were basically attached at the hip. So much so, that I see his mom as my second mom. We would go back and forth playing at each other's houses virtually every day throughout our childhood. Our parents shared the responsibility of raising us.
My mom and dad met Brian's parents through church. They still go to the same church to this day and are close friends themselves. I'm not sure how old I was when I began playing with Brian. I honestly do not remember very well our not being friends. I do however have many memories of drawing in the back of our church during the sermon. And many other such experiences.
Brian and I were well matched. We were both active getting our hands dirty types of boys. We spent an unimaginable amount of time in the woods behind my house. We also tried digging a hole in my back yard all the way to China. We were best friends most of the way until junior high.
In junior high our interests diverted. He became very invested in soccer. He played in both spring and fall. His closest friends were also soccer players. At this same time I began being less interested in sports and more interested in sewing my wild oats. I smoked pot heavily and was up to no good most of the time. Brian and I despite going our separate ways remained friends.
Brian went on to play college soccer and I began teaching skiing. We hung out together still. And at times were pretty close. We were especially good friends for a while when he lived in my neighborhood. I believe the last time I saw him was at his kid sister's wedding. I also got to meet his wife and kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment