Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Making A Difference

I can remember a time when the symptoms of schizophrenia I experienced were pronounced. I came up with a plan to avoid a potential disaster. At the time I believed I might be severely tortured. I thought if I were to be homeless I would be left alone. I thought I would be safe.
It was a warm day during the tail end of winter here in Vermont. I hitch hiked roughly 40 miles to a nearby town (Barre) of the state capital.  I went to this area of the state to get involved with politics. One of my symptoms of schizophrenia was delusion of grandeur. I believed I had had a political career earlier in life.
I arrived at the shelter in Barre and was admitted. I had money in a bank account but couldn't access it myself. And so I may have had $5 to live with. In addition to not having money I had no change of clothes, winter coat and would shortly run out of tobacco. I left without planning ahead, out of desperation. I needed help.
Things got worse from that point in time before they got better. I wonder now if I could have recovered form schizophrenia in a less painful and traumatic manner. I was then not aware of many available services or the nature of my illness.
It is experiences like this which fuel my desire to write for my blog. I believe I can make a difference. This blog is just a step in the right direction for me. I am pursuing a career in peer advocacy. I believe firmly that if the peer community must band together. If we all make an effort to improve existing services of mental health treatment things could get much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment