Friday, January 4, 2013

Teaching Chess

I am attempting to teach my therapist how to play chess. Michael (my therapist) seems a quick study. This morning we sat down at a cafe for our first over the board lesson. I was surprised to learn that he knew nothing of the game. Not even how the pieces moved.
I had to adjust my teaching to meet his needs. However, after I taught him the basics of the game he seemed to be able to apply everything quite well. He even was able to formulate strategy. This is a very demanding task for someone so unfamiliar to the game.
I think that he and I will develop a strong relationship through the exchange of chess knowledge. I am not all that familiar with having a relationship with a therapist. I have only had two throughout my years of having schizophrenia. I seem to lay it all out there and then work on developing a bond later.
I think therapy is about knowing yourself. Whether it be art therapy, group therapy or individualized therapy you are likely attempting to unearth bits and pieces of yourself. I think I can learn a little about myself from teaching Michael chess; but more importantly we will allow the process of developing a relationship that will be rewarding to take its time.

No comments:

Post a Comment