Monday, December 17, 2012

Trip To NYC

In 2003 or 2004 I took a trip to New York City. The purpose of this trip was to sell poetry I had written. I was very delusional at the time. I believed that I had been a famous artist in my early adulthood. I thought I had been a singer, rapper, painter, actor and film director. I thought to sell my poetry to one of my fans instead of getting it published.
I went to New York with my notebook in hand. I thought for sure that I would be noticed once I was in the city. I thought for sure that one of my fans would come to see me and then I would sell my book of poetry. And so when I was in the city I went to Time Square and waited. I stood there all day and nobody came.
This is just one of many stories in which a little doubt in regards to my delusions was cast. It was hard for me to accept that many beliefs I held were false. And so it took a while for it to sink in.
I no longer am delusional. I have won that battle. I am symptom free and ready to move on to the challenges life presents beyond that of my affliction, schizophrenia. There are days that I feel I am doing very well and there are days I feel like I could be doing better. Just like anyone else I have much room for improvement. I am proud of my recovery and the person I've become.

No comments:

Post a Comment