Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Small Chunks

I'm a very strong willed person, maybe to a fault. I have at times in my life failed to see that I was in need. I can remember a time that I was living in California. My lease on an apartment ran up before I could find another place. The town I was in was a resort town. And so much of what was available was too expensive. This was despite that I was working two jobs.
So after I left my apartment I lived in a storage unit. This was during the winter and it was quite cold at night. I never even considered cutting my losses and heading home. I let my basic needs fall to the wayside not out of pride but short sightedness. I didn't see this as a hardship at the time. I only thought I would soon have another place and all would be well.
I am a different persona now. I have learned to express myself and to recognize when things are difficult for me. I now actively seek support from friends, family and mental health professionals on a daily basis. The difficulty that life presents its self to be is most manageable in small chunks. It took me a long time to learn that and was a hard lesson indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment