Saturday, December 8, 2012

Dig Deep

At one point I had the idea to print some small books. I wanted to be able to sell the books for a dollar a piece. The idea was to have a self sustaining means to promote my blog. I thought this would be feasible because I have a friend who is a publisher.
My publisher friend told me he could publish my book for the cost of paper and ink. It turns out that I did not clearly understand that he thought or would recommend that I have a local print shop do the actual printing. I believed he would do the printing himself.
The print shop I would have used charges 10 cents a page. I have seen poetry books written by a friend of mine for $7.50. They were about 29 pages long. I am not however, going to charge that much money for something that is already available for free on the internet.
I was pretty apprehensive about this publishing project last night. I felt uneasy but had not yet clearly identified what was making me feel that way. I spent a lot of time thinking on the matter. I was in fact thinking on it more then I feel was necessary. This was the most anxious I had felt since I first considered leaving my former group home (Meadowview.)
In the instance of leaving Meadowview my feelings and anxiety were self created. I was able to work through those feelings I had. I sought out support from others. I made the move into my current living situation and am happy I have. In this instance of publishing I again sought support and found that my feelings were justified.
It can be hard to say if our anxiety has a sound basis or not. We can only carefully weigh out what is causing us stress. In an instance in which you are stressed allow yourself the time needed to make the right decision; and talk to people about your feelings. Hearing our own word can helps us to dig down and find the root of our problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment