Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Not My Illness

I have schizophrenia but I am not my illness. And just the same there is more to my recovery than taking pills. I have been hurt deeply by my mental illness and I needed love and compassion to help me heal. I needed time to realize what I needed to do to recover. And to see there was a way for me to get better. I needed to know that I was not to blame for my own suffering.
I was diagnosed with schizophrenia in 2007. I did not really understand what schizophrenia was until the early part of 2012. My doctors and other mental health professionals didn't seem to be interested in doing much more than medicating me. I was left to try to be a healthy individual without any knowledge of my affliction. The worst instance of this was at my diagnosis. I was told I had schizophrenia and simply sent on my way.
In the end it wasn't doctors or medication that healed my wounds. It was my own perseverance and compassion of my family. I myself found a way to deal with my illness and also live with purpose. My family helped me through the times that I had no hope for myself. This is unfortunately the nature of recovery. It is a journey of personal exploration.

No comments:

Post a Comment