Monday, November 19, 2012

Distress Tolerance

Yesterday started off pretty slow for me. I was dragging a little. I tried doing things to pick myself up but with little success. There are times when we get stuck in a rut. We often can pick ourselves up out of it but sometimes we have to ride it out. I have learned that it is helpful to be able to accept the hard times and not always rush to fix it. This is called distress tolerance.
Eventually my day did turn around. It was not until the afternoon and I had been up since 4 am. I had to stay with this dragging feeling for a while. I tried going to cafes to write. I tried reading. I eventually just laid down in bed and waited for the mood to pass.
Later that day a friend called me up. We met for a community meal at 1:30 pm; and played chess for a while afterwards. I even got him to a local venue that shows art. I thought he could showcase some of his stuff there. We brought prints of his art to the venue (Equilibrium) and showed them to the owner. My day turned around.
Feelings are usually short lived. I was able to have a pretty good day, I just had to be patient. We can sometimes slip into longer more sustained patterns of sadness, anger and so on. And so it is important that we note what is going on inside us and seek support as is necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment