Friday, November 23, 2012

Holiday Tradition

This morning I took part in an old family tradition. I went with my folks to get this year's christmas tree. We traveled out to the same tree farm we have been going to since I was about 5. It is not exactly close by. We don't go their for the convenience or for their prices. Honestly, I don't know why we started going there. The fact is that we have been going there now for almost 30 years.
I can remember many years ago before I had schizophrenia. I can remember going to this tree farm where they have lamas. The whole family went together. I can remember years where the snow was deep and the air was frosty. I remember going there with my sister. My favorite part of going to the tree farm as a child was drinking the hot apple cider. They still serve it free of charge and it is delicious.
I've grown up a lot in the years since we started going to that tree farm. In past years I have not always been able to make the trip. Last year at this time I was in a psych hospital. It is for this reason I am especially glad I could go this year. Getting the family christmas tree is a simple yet meaningful holiday tradition for many families. I can go there now and see how the years have taught me all that they have. I now appreciate the tradition and time spent with my family more than the apple cider.

No comments:

Post a Comment