Friday, November 23, 2012

Learning In Life

In my early childhood I would sometimes be described as overactive. I often gave my teachers trouble with my exuberance. I was always happy to be outdoors. I didn't do so well in structured environments that demanded that I stay still for very long. It took time for me to grow out of this phase in my life. I did eventually learn to manage and use my enthusiasm well.
I have used my energy in a number of pursuits. They include skiing, biking and chess. I taught skiing in my late teens and early 20's. I was gung-ho on having a good career as a skier. I worked very hard at it and my work was paying off. I was respected by my peers and received high marks from the customers. Chess and biking came later in life. I started really being interested in these two pursuits at a former group home (47 Main St.) I am now a good chess player and have done a number of 100 mile single day bike rides.
I am now a little older and a little wiser. I do not think that I wasted energy on my former pursuits. I still love chess and am very glad I have done 100 mile bike rides. I feel like my 30's have given me some perspective I didn't have before. I have experienced the setbacks and failures of mismanaging a mental illness. This turned me on to a whole new avenue for me to pour myself into.
I am now invested in making a difference as a mentor and advocate for the mentally ill. I know how much better I could have been prepared to deal with schizophrenia. I want to help people take steps forward in their recovery. I know there is not a greater contribution to society that I can make. This pursuit is important and meaningful to me. I feel as though it is what I was meant to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment