Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Uniquely Human

It's amazing to me how something as impermanent as a mood can have such a profound affect on us. When we are sad or angry we see things differently than when we are happy. I will often have little hope that my life will ever get better when I'm down. I have to remind myself of how well I am already doing much of the time.
It is important to identify a mood and not see it as indicative of who we are as people. We are not our moods. Our moods will come and they will go. If you learn to accept the presence of sadness and such without allowing it to diminish your self-image, you will have learned a valuable lesson.
There are strategies to help you not allow your emotions to get the best of you. These include distractions like exercise and radio. You can also recite affirmations and practice positive self-talk. It is sometimes best to talk to a friend or family member to help lift your spirits. We all need support some of the time.
The fact is that none of us are perfect. Some of the time our moods will influence us undesirably; we might say or do something we regret later. This is a fact of life. If you develop good habits for coping with difficult emotions, you should be alright. Just remember we all make mistakes and are this way uniquely human.

No comments:

Post a Comment