Monday, November 5, 2012

Moving Forward

My new living situation has its challenges. I share a house with 8 other people. We all use the same kitchen and bathrooms. It is still relatively quiet, I rarely even see most of my housemates. In fact I have really got to know only 3 of them. All 3 have been friendly and respectful.
I am without a computer or television at my new residence. This is definitely a challenge. Although I am not a couch potato it is nice to have some distractions available to you. I am making an effort to be active each day. I have been reading, exercising, playing chess and writing regularly. Yesterday I played a couple of hours of chess with a friend, which was great. The day before I saw a movie matinee.
I have found that I can be more anxious about things that are on my mind without having distractions like a t.v. or computer. I am currently working on starting a recovery based writing group where I live. I am also working on making a mental health documentary that will be posted on youtube. Yesterday, I was really concerned with whether or not I should publish my blog articles in a book. I really had to make an effort to not make to much out of this issue.
I am certain that I can face these challenges. It will only teach me how to live my life better than before. I will enjoy myself in new ways, forge more meaningful relationships with my friends and possibly become a better writer. Prior to this move I looked forward to the challenges that would be presented to me in living on my own. I looked forward to this because I knew these challenges would help me grow. Here I am and I will move forward in my recovery and in life, just as I hoped I would.

No comments:

Post a Comment