Friday, November 2, 2012

Spreading My Wings

I woke up this morning at my new apartment. I moved out of my now former group home yesterday. I am happy to have made this step towards independence. It has been a long time coming. I have tried to live independently only once since being diagnosed with schizophrenia. I tried to make it in Miami. I have other wise spent the last 5 years either in group homes or at my parents house.
Yesterday was a good day all in all. I did some unpacking and some grocery shopping. The usual moving into a new place stuff. I also went to a soup kitchen for lunch, wrote, played chess and worked out. I still had time that I didn't know what to do with. A little more than I expected prior to the move. I am trying to meet new people. I will hopefully be spending time with new friends in the future.
This move towards independent living should be successful. It is much different than when I moved to Miami. I wasn't seeing any mental health professionals or attending groups in Miami. Here in Brattleboro I go to a support group every week. I am also seeing a therapist, case manager and psychiatrist regularly. I am much more aware of the challenges of dealing with schizophrenia.
The community I am now living in is a good fit for me. It is small yet culturally rich. There is a thriving chess community which I enjoy being a part of. I have a number of chess buddies. I am trying to branch out further. I will be reading poetry at an open mic night next Wednesday.
I am enthusiastic about the opportunity presented to me right now. This is to live a meaningful and rewarding life. It is an opportunity to go further in my recovery than to just deal with my illness. It is the opportunity to spread my wings. I am turning the page in my life to a new chapter and look forward to sharing with all of you that read my blog, the experiences that await me.

No comments:

Post a Comment