Friday, November 16, 2012

Hearts May Wander

Life is not lived along a straight line. There are twists and turns, setbacks and failures. We venture off into adulthood not knowing of how our lives will unfold. Often hurdles lay in our paths that can not be easily navigated. In these times we are thrown off course, we take a detour. Though these detours slow us down, they allow us a different perspective on the landscape that is our lives.

A heart may wander but only when it is to free a mind.

It is these detours in life that engage the human spirit. We will often have to take on difficult situations that require we draw upon courage and support. These times however unpleasant at the time, teach us valuable lessons. We grow and learn to appreciate the good times.
Schizophrenia came to me as a monumental detour. It has shaped me over the past 10 years. And now shown me that I am to fulfill a much different role than I anticipated. I believe that often people will not overcome obstacles in their path until they see what they stand to gain in taking the necessary steps.
Naturally overcoming a hurdle like schizophrenia does not happen over night. I could not have turned around after being diagnosed and say I will learn from this experience and one day share what I have learned. I had to go through denial and bitterness.
However, once I was ready to proceed to come out of this difficult period in my life, it became a very simple task. I took what I needed from this experience and allowed myself to live accordingly. Hearts of people wander because those people are yet to be prepared to get what they want out of life. It is however, often the difficulties and hardships that lead us to discover what we really need.

No comments:

Post a Comment