Monday, October 15, 2012

Self Educated


I am currently reading The Stand by Steven King. Reading is a great way to use your imagination and gain knowledge. I have not always been much of a reader. In fact there have been times in which my symptoms of schizophrenia were so pronounced that I could not concentrate well enough to read.

I did read a lot in my early to mid twenties. I was trying to become self educated and studied full time. During the periods of my heaviest studying I could read 7 hours a day. Unfortunately I read so much that I turned myself off from reading; for a while my muscles in my throat would tighten up every time I read. Reading became very stressful for me.

In my experiences with educating myself I have learned a little bit on the subject. I know better now how to go about learning. I am also convinced that there is value to educating yourself as opposed to going to college. The advantage to being self educated is in its disadvantage. You will learn of the world and society by virtue of making your own way; as opposed to having doors open for you as if you had graduated from college.

I have thought I would like to mentor someone in becoming self educated. I would teach them to study English, politics and history. I recommend studying English because it is useful. We all use language every day of our lives. Studying history and politics develops knowledge and understanding that will be enhanced by reading the newspaper. It is important to be a life long learner. The idea of educating yourself is to get a little bit ahead of the curve. This way in doing the reading you do with the rest of your life you will be a step ahead of the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment