Monday, October 22, 2012

My Favorite Hike


Out of all the hikes I have ever done one sticks out in my memory. It sticks out for its beautiful scenery but also for being a kick ass workout. This hike is on the second tallest mountain in Vermont, Camel's Hump. It is the only mountain its size in the state that has not been developed by a ski resort.

Camel's Hump is over 4000' tall. There are two ridge lines with trails that bring you to the mountain's summit. One of the two trails is in Underhill. It is the shorter of the two but is also steeper. However it is the longer, more gradual ridge which I am writing this article about.

The long ridge line starts out at a surprisingly low elevation. The trail head has a very small unassuming parking lot. It is easy to drive right by it if you do not have a careful eye. Across the street from the trail head is one of the largest rivers in Vermont. The Winooski River eventually empties out in Lake Champlain. The summit is 6.2 miles from the parking lot. It has an elevation change of around 4000'.

I like to do this hike annually on hot summer days. When it's hot in the valley it is still nice and cool at the Camel's Hump summit. It takes me about 4 1/2 hours round trip for this hike. There are spots along the way with some of the most epic views I have ever seen. One in particular looks out over the mountainside that spans the distance between the two ridge lines.

I found the trail head for this hike many years ago by chance. I was out exploring in my car and stumbled upon it. It is a truly wonderful place and I treasure the time that I have spent there.

No comments:

Post a Comment