Monday, October 8, 2012

Contacting My Sister


I contacted my sister via e-mail several days ago. This was a big step for me as my sister and I had not been in contact for over 5 years. I did not intentionally distance myself from her at first. We had grown a part when we were adolescents. I realized eventually that we hadn't spoken for sometime; but by that time I thought maybe she held some resentment towards me.

I was making it out to be more than what it really was. My sister responded to the e-mail I sent her. She updated me on how she and her family were doing. She is a mother of three and married to an army man. She also asked me a couple of questions about what I was doing in my life.

Hearing from my sister was great. I responded to her e-mail immediately. I told her about things that were going on in my life and what is important to me right now. I hope that over time we can become close again and that I can see my nieces and nephew.

I made something out of the fact that my sister hadn't been in contact with me that wasn’t there. I could have contacted her long ago. Instead I let the uncertainty I held of how she would react get in my way. It's easy to make mountains out of mole hills.

No comments:

Post a Comment