Sunday, October 28, 2012

The Writer Clerk


I was out on a walk this morning. I had earlier stopped at a coffee shop to read. The book I was reading was called On Writing Well. Writing is my hobby that I am most interested in right now. I am trying to learn the craft. On my way back home I arbitrarily stopped at a convenience store which I rarely do. The clerk at the store commented on my book. He told me that he thought it was a good book. We talked for a little while. He said that he has won a number of local area writing contests. He writes short stories. I told him about my blog.

I learned from this man that only 3% of writers are able to make a living off it. He said to me that he has no illusion of making a living from writing in his life. A goal of mine is to eventually write and have published an autobiography. However, I am glad to just be writing. I am now more aware of the fact that there are a lot of people out there like me. There are people who are good writers and do not get anymore than the satisfaction of seeing their ideas in print. I feel fortunate that my blog has received the attention it has. I am sure there are many writers that have not been read by as many people as I have. These writers may be quite skilled at the craft of writing, as I am sure the clerk at the convenience store is.

No comments:

Post a Comment