Friday, October 26, 2012

Integrity


I was in a support group a short time ago when the subject of character came up. We discussed the importance of character and specific character traits that were especially important. We seemed to come to the consensus that integrity is the most important character trait. I was inspired to look further into the meaning of integrity and certain people's interpretations of this. I looked up the definition on wikipedia as well as finding a couple quotes on the subject. I will share this with you here.

 

Integrity definition: "Integrity is a concept of consistency of actions, values, methods, measures, principals, expectations and outcomes. In ethics integrity is regarded as the honesty and truthfulness or accuracy of one's actions."

 

Integrity Quotes: "When you are content to be simply yourself and don't compare or compete, everyone will respect you." Lao Tzu

 

"I prefer to be true to myself, even at the hazard of incurring the ridicule of others, rather than to be false, and incur my own abhorrence." Fredrick Douglas

 

I take away from this discussion and research, not only a greater understanding of the importance and nature of integrity. I also understand better how I can have greater integrity. Specifically the quote from Lao Tzu inspires me; I tend to be a competitive person by nature. Simply being myself and not striving always to stand better in comparison to others is a challenge for me.

If I may say be true to yourself. Let your integrity guide you down a path that is rewarding to you. As only with your integrity will your path truly be unique and ideal. Your path in life is otherwise a blank canvass.

No comments:

Post a Comment