Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Running This Past Summer


This past summer I did a lot of running. I quit smoking in the spring and started running a week later. The first time I ran I did 20 laps around Crowell Lot, a park in Brattleboro. I slowly week by week increased the number of laps, time and speed I was running at. I worked my way up to a full hour of running before very long. I set a goal to run 30 laps in 30 minutes. I met my goal of doing 30 laps in 30 minutes after more than a month of training. This had been the most I had run since I was in Jr. High.

It feels good to be able to run. I think especially if you are a former smoker. You know just a little better to appreciate this experience than others might. When I was a smoker I was actually very physically active. I did century rides (100 miles in a day) on my 10 speed. I did not attempt to run however.

I ran a lot when I was younger. I ran with my sister often times and played soccer. This lasted until I started smoking marijuana. I quickly substituted physical activity for partying with friends. This was approximately at the age of 15. I had not run consistently since. I was not necessarily smart to pick up smoking but I did quit. I am happy that this experience has helped me appreciate running. This is of course not to say anyone should start smoking. It's a very bad habit.

No comments:

Post a Comment