Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Having Met Robert


I met someone named Robert when I lived in Miami. Robert was in his 50's and homeless. When he was younger he had served in Korea for the army. He was a tall black man, I think about 6' 5". He had recently been released from prison where he had served 23 years. I learned a life lesson from this man.

I met Robert on my way home from the grocery store. He asked me for a cigarette and I obliged. I started seeing him around after that and what started out as a cigarette turned into large sums of money. I was quite intimidated by him and begrudgingly gave up my money. He also made passes at me, nearly forcefully. He would eventually steal my $1300 bicycle from the roof of the hostel I was staying at. I had previously invited him up there to hang out. He held the bike for ransom telling me I could get it back for $40. I paid the ransom but never saw the bike again.

This experience has impacted me. I don't want to be too jaded and have no compassion for anyone I meet. However, I do want to take care of myself. I think as we grow older, wiser and lose some of our innocence we shrink a little too. We are not the giants we once thought we were- instead we are merely human. I can't afford to make mistakes like what I did in Miami throughout my entire life. I have to be a little more guarded to be safe and secure. This is an unfortunate truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment