Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Transition to Independence


I am in a time of transition. I will be leaving Meadowview Recovery Residence (the group home that I currently live in.) I will be leaving to go to a shared apartment in town. This transition will likely happen in less than 2 months. I am a little nervous about the move.

It was a couple of months ago when the idea of my leaving Meadowview first came up. I was uncomfortable with the idea at first. I experienced a lot of anxiety and told the staff that I didn't feel ready to move. They were accepting of my hesitance. However in talking about my issues as well as just sitting with them, I slowly became more comfortable. I reconsidered the idea.

I am still a little nervous about this change. I know that I will have very little money. I have had times in the past that I have had trouble with budgeting money. The money isn't the only issue. I will also have to remain active, both socially and physically. I spend time with people I live with, Meadowview is a supportive environment. In my new surroundings I will have to make a point to spend time with friends I have and make new friends.

Brattleboro (where I live) is a small city. There is a chess community for me to engage with. There are also community meals as well as a food shelf.. There is also a library; I will do a lot of reading and writing there. Brattleboro has a community center where chess club is held. I am enrolled in a soccer league that is held there as well. I will make it a point to make the most of what Brattleboro has to offer.

This next step in my recovery is a big one. I hope it is the first of a series of steps I take towards a bright future. I am certain I will grow and learn from this experience. It could be very positive and I look forward to sharing of my experiences with all of you, in Breathe.

No comments:

Post a Comment