Monday, October 15, 2012

Out of Touch


I was thinking back on my time that I lived in Aspen. I moved out to Aspen when I was 23. I did this very abruptly because I was facing a short stint in jail. I had been charged with careless and negligent operation of a vehicle. The charge came from the previous summer in which I drove my car somewhere over 50 mph in a residential neighborhood. This is not the point of this article however.

I was extremely out of touch with reality when I was in Aspen. I moved out there with maybe $2000. I found an apartment the first night for about $400/month. While I was there I went to a realtor and tried to get the largest and most expensive house in Aspen. I thought I could make the money I needed appear out of thin air. I believed I had made money appear many times when I was younger. I remember trying to make money appear while sitting on my bed in my apartment.

It took a long time for me to realize I was delusional. It was almost ten years before I accepted this fact. I had many ways in which to rationalize things like that I no longer had super powers. I look back on this time in my life in wonderment. I question how I could possibly have been that out of touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment